Sunday, September 2, 2007

I Don’t Want My Son to be Stop-Lossed Either

MY Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:


"My son has been stop lossed and his tour has been extended now for the 3rd time. He has been in Baghdad for over a year now and I want him to come home. I want to see him and talk to him. I want to hear his voice. I want him out of that dangerous and violent place. I want those things because he is my son. I check his MySpace page daily just for the reassurance that he’s been online and I can rest knowing he’s okay for one more day. At the same time, I understand that he is a grown man and he made an informed decision to do what he is doing. I could tell he was disappointed about having to stay longer in Iraq each time his tour has been extended. I have jokingly asked him if he wanted me to call his commander and complain. He and I both knew that I was kidding and he laughed. We both knew I was referring to the days when he was very young and I intervened on his behalf in situations. Those days are long gone. They are just a memory and a source of affectionate banter between us now. I would never infantilize my son by doing anything of that sort."


A poignant post by a very, very brave woman.

"Supporting the troops" doesn't just mean overwhelming email servers, sending packages to soldiers stationed overseas and posting on innerweb blogs and message boards. It also means supporting the families who are making a sacrifice most non-military families just can't comprehend.

If you know of a mother, father or other relative with a family member serving in this great cause, say a small prayer for them as you kneel in worship today. They are as brave as their loved one and their sacrifice is as great as any.

A pat on the back. A smile. A "how you doing?" It makes a difference, as my cross-street neighbor will attest. She got her husband back last June.